73) In 1974 much of the district was being redeveloped by the council, notably the area between Littleton Street East and Butts Road; several blocks of multi-storey flats had been built in the 1960s. Station Street was described in 1855 as comprising a long range of neat, uniform buildings , mainly private houses but including the large Railway Commercial inn; a second hotel was being built. 143) The building of houses and flats has continued throughout the area, some on the sites of demolished villas. 252) Birchills Lane, running between Walsall and Birchills and also known as Green Lane by 1763, is mentioned in 1559, and there was a cottage beside it in 1587 walsall dating. 372) The area now consists mainly of council estates, dating from the 1930s and the later 1940s; (fn.
108) and Lime and Richmond Streets apparently date from about the same time. Site of Green Lanes Furnaces To commemorate Queen Victoria s golden jubilee the council acquired 13 a. The Memorial Gardens to the west were opened in 1952. of the manorial waste in 1888 and laid out a 10-acre park on Bloxwich Green (the remains of Short Heath), opening it in 1890. They include one south of Lichfield Road and another at Dudley Fields south of Sneyd Lane, both dating from the later 1940s, and the Mossley estate north of Sneyd Lane dating from the later 1950s.
56) The Holtshill area occurs as the Holt in the 14th century; the name Holtshill was in use by 1440, and Holtshill Top occurs in 1512. 324) The Sandbank estate, consisting of three 12-storey blocks and one of 16 storeys, was begun in 1962 on a cleared site of 6 a. Broadway was built across the area in the 1920s, and privately owned houses had been built along it by 1938... ..